Salt Lake Comic Con FanX™ 2017

Cosplay Competition Rules

  • All cosplay creations must abide by the rules of Salt Lake Comic Con dress code AND weapons policy. If any staff, volunteers or judges discover a violation, we reserve the right to disqualify that contestant.
  • Cosplay creations that have won any major award(s) at any past Salt Lake Comic Con event may NOT be re-entered into the Cosplay Contest for FanX 2017.  Such awards include but are not limited to:
    • Best in show
    • Best in division
    • First Place
    • Second Place
    • Third Place
    • Judges Award
    • Honorable Mention
    • Best in Show
  • If your cosplay has won at OTHER contests or competitions, we will still allow that cosplay creation to be entered into our contest.
  • Each contestant may present or wear only ONE cosplay. Unless they are also in a group category. Example: You and some friends enter as a group of stormtroopers BUT you also enter yourself into one of the skill levels as a solo stormtrooper.
  • Your costume and cosplay should allow you freedom to move. If any assistance is needed you may have up to two assistants help you but they will not be provided by the event staff.
  • No pyrotechnics, live flame, live projectile shooting devices or smoke generators allowed in the convention center.
  • No electrical power connections will be provided. If your costume requires power it must be part of your costume/cosplay.
  • No microphones will be provided
  • All cosplay contest participants must have a Salt Lake Comic Con wristband (admittance into the con) in order to be eligible to compete.

While no changes to these rules are foreseen, there are always circumstances that may require that some rules or times be changed. We appreciate all of our audience and contestants and will try our best to keep this to a minimum.

How We Define Cosplay

Cosplay- Consists of an outfit that is mostly created or made by the contestant or someone they have paid to create a cosplay for them. Each entry needs to be at least 70% hand made, crafted, painted, welded, put together, basically we want to make sure that contestants have “made” their own outfit/costume or at least altered it to a point where it is not just an off the rack costume.  The remaining 30% can be commissioned or altered items.

3D Printed Cosplay elements- 3D printed elements are judged based on whether or not you designed the 3D model and printed it.  You will score less if you commissioned the model or did not print it.  If you did not design or print the piece it should be added to the “commissioned” percentage in the online registration period.

Commissioned CosplaysIf you have commissioned a cosplay outfit and qualify for the stage portion of the contest, the “creator” of that outfit needs to be present at the actual competition. Same for your “model,” if you have created a cosplay outfit for someone else to wear.

FAQ

What if I missed the online registration?

We are incredibly excited that the amount of competitors is always expanding but with hundreds of people entering at every event we are only allowing online registration. Please make sure that you sign up as quickly as possible and tell your friends so that they aren’t left out on an amazing experience.

How will I know if I’ve qualified for the stage competition?

After reviewing all the prejudging scores and finalizing how many entries we can have for each genre, all contestants that have qualified for the stage portion will be notified via email the week of the event.

Why is there prejudging?

Since we only have a limited amount of time in the largest ballroom of the largest convention center in the state we must time everything out with precision. We plan on having an amazing competition that celebrates cosplay and entertains the audience but doesn’t go over our allotted time. With hundreds of entries, it’s important to take into account the logistics involved with putting this together.

I’m still not done with my cosplay yet, should I register?

YES! Register as soon as possible so that you can secure a spot in the contest. You have until the registration deadline to update all your info and photo/video album that the prejudging panel will score.

I have a couple questions, who should I write to?

Please send contact ro@slcomiccon.com and anyone on the production team will be able to answer any and all of your questions.

© Copyright 2013-2017 - Salt Lake Comic Con